Technical Data Sheet
Createx Airbrush Colors
Edited March 2021 – This tech sheet supersedes any other inconsistent information, including the label
Createx Airbrush Colors are fluid acrylic colors with specialized performance for airbrush and spray-gun application.
Colors are made with a supple, yet durable acrylic resin that is well suited for painting fabric and textiles with a finish that leaves a “soft-hand” feel.
Createx Airbrush Colors are designed to cover and spray best with larger tip-sizes at higher psi settings compared to Wicked Colors and Illustration Colors which are better suited for fine-line performance through smaller airbrush tip-sizes at lower psi settings.
Createx Airbrush Colors are made with lightfast pigments, the same pigments Wicked Colors and Illustration Colors. Createx Airbrush Colors dry semi-gloss.
- Cover opaque out of the bottle in 2 – 3 coats.
- Best sprayed with a 0.5mm / large tip-sized airbrush at higher psi settings, 35 – 45+ psi.
- Not for small airbrush tip-sizes smaller than 0.35mm. Even when over-reduced, Opaque Colors work better with large tip-sizes.
- For Opaque Colors which can be sprayed through medium and small tip-sizes down to 0.18mm at under 20 psi; Createx Illustration Opaque Colors work best.
- Translucent colors with a high pigment volume for semi-opaque coverage out of the bottle.
- For increased transparency without over thinning, extend with 5601 Transparent Base. Mix in any ratio.
- Best sprayed through large to medium airbrush tip-sizes, down to 0.3mm. For smaller tip-sizes, i.e. 0.18mm, Createx Wicked Detail & Illustration Colors spray better.
- Psi can vary per tip-size, best 25 – 40+ psi.
- Not Lightfast! Not recommended for long-term or exterior applications.
- Tip: if using for an exterior finish (such as a helmet), first apply Createx Opaque Airbrush Colors (or AutoBorne Sealer) as a color-keyed base to better hide eventual color loss from direct light and improve coverage.
- Highly translucent, low viscosity colors.
- Spray well through most tip-sizes, 0.5mm – 0.3mm.
- Psi can vary per tip-size, best 25 – 40+ psi.
- Cover semi-opaque.
- Best applied over white, grey or black base, such as Createx Airbrush Opaque Colors.
- Best sprayed with a larger volume, tip-sized airbrush operated at 35 – 45+ psi
- For medium tip-sizes, 0.3mm+, sprayed at reduced pressures, extend generously ~ 50% per volume with 5601 Transparent Base, then thin 10% - 20% with 4011 Reducer.
5601 Transparent Base
- The colorless resin base to Createx Airbrush Colors.
- Add to extend paint for increased transparency while maintaining a higher viscosity compared with only adding 4011 Reducer.
- Also works as a light protective coating, especially t-shirt and fabric painting.
- Fabric primer: Apply direct to shirt to “lock down” fabric knap, allowing for tighter lines & cleaner colors
- Refer to Transparent Bases TDS for more
5602 Opaque Base
- A colorless resin base, with refined clay, for mixing with colors for increased opacity.
- Chroma of color will be lowered after mixing.
Createx Airbrush Colors are compatible with all other Createx paints and clears, as well as most other paint types, both water-based and solvent-based paint.
When using with solvent-based paints & clears, allow each to cure, (dry thoroughly for an extended period of at least 1 hour), prior to applying the next paint-type. Water-based and solvent-based may only be inter-coated, not directly mixed.
Mixing & Diluting Createx Airbrush Colors
Createx Airbrush Colors may be used out-of-the-bottle or, or thinned with 4011 Reducer.
- Airbrush: Thin colors 10% - 25% per volume with 4011 Reducer.
- Thin in small increments until colors flow and atomize into fine droplets.
- Spray-gun: Thin ~ 10% per vol. with 4011 Reducer
4030 Balancing Clear & 4050 UVLS Gloss Clear
Add to colors when painting plastics, leather, fiberglass and other hard-surfaces.
- Mix 4030 Balancing Clear or 4050 UVLS Gloss Clear ~ 10% per vol. with colors, then thin mix ~ 10% - 25% per vol. with 4011 Reducer.
- Allow mix 10+ minutes before spraying for optimum flow, especially for spray-gun use.
- Improves adhesion, flow and durability of color.
- Colors dry satin when mixed with 4030.
- Refer to 4030 TDS for more information
Distilled & deionized water may be used to thin colors at 10% per volume. Exceeding this amount may affect adhesion and drying times.
5601 Transparent Base may also be used to lower viscosity of colors; while not as effective at thinning as 4011 Reducer, 5601 adds resin to the mix allowing for greatly extended colors which have a high resin load for adhesion & durability.
Pot-Life & Storage
Createx Airbrush Colors do not have a pot life. Long term storage of paint after mixing with 4011 Reducer is not recommended past 3 – 4 weeks.
Always keep colors capped air-tight when not pouring paint from the bottle. Store away from direct light, i.e. in a paint cabinet or box in a closet, kept 50 – 80 deg. F.
Keep paint capped air tight at all tomes unless pouring paint from the bottle.
Refer to Textile or Hard Surface Application Guide for information about process for use of product.
- Large / 0.5+ mm tip: Spray 40+ out of the bottle, thin 10% per vol. or more for lower psi settings.
- Medium / ~ 0.35mm: Thin 10% - 20% per vol.
- Small / 0.18 – 0.3mm: 20% – 30%+ per volume
- Fluorescent Colors will spray better with less reduction compared to standard & Pearlescent Colors.
- Reduction amounts are guidelines. Test what works best for atomization of colors onto surface sprayed.
- Thin 5% - 10% per vol.
- 1.2 – 1.3mm tip-size, ~25 - 30 psi inlet
- Follow spray-gun manufacturer’s psi recommendations.
Drying Times & Curing
Estimated drying and curing times are set at 70 degrees F and 65% or less relative humidity (RH). Allow for extended drying times in colder or humid conditions. Painting in temperatures under 60 deg. F not recommended as paint may fail to cure.
- Re-coat: 5 – 10 minutes
- Time to tape & clear: 60 minutes
- Final cure: 48 hours
- Use air movement to assist drying. Do not use heat to force dry paint. Using heat to speed drying may create a “latex-like” film which lacks adhesion.
- Adding 4030 assists in lowering drying times and improves performance in humidity.
Top-Coating with a Clear
For a durable paintjob capable of outdoor use, top-coat colors with a clear. Colors are compatible with any clear type, both water-based and solvent-based.
Allow colors to thoroughly dry before top-coating with a clear. Allowing for extended drying time of the colors improves flow of clear during application for a smoother finish, along with improved gloss retention.
Createx Airbrush Colors will have gloss level of clear applied. Colors such as Pearl Colors appear more vibrant with pronounced pearlescent effect when top-coated with a gloss clear.
Top-Coating with a Clear (cont’d.)
Fabric & General Hobby:
Apply 5603 Matte Top-Coat & 5604 Gloss Top Coat for a light protective coating.
- Thin 5603 & 5604 Top-Coat 5% - 10% per volume with 4011 Reducer.
- Apply ~ 25 – 30 psi with large-tip-sized airbrush
- Apply 2 – 3 medium, non-wetted coats, allowing each coat ~ 5 – 10 minutes drying in between coats.
- Top Coat is supple after drying, better suited for fabric. For leather, use Createx UVLS Clears as top-coat.
- Heat-set after Top Coat dries for washfast results on t-shirt and fabrics.
Exterior, Sign, Plastic, Leather and More:
Apply Createx UVLS Clears: 4050 Gloss, 4051 Satin and 4052 Matte Clears.
- Thin UVLS Clears 5% - 10% per vol. with 4011 Reducer
- Apply with large tip-sized airbrush ~ 25 psi, or spray-gun 1.2 – 1.4mm ~ 20 psi inlet
- For application onto hard-plastics, glass and other hard-to paint substrates, apply UVLS 4050 Gloss Clear as an adhesive primer, then apply Createx Airbrush Colors after 4050 Clear has dried. 4050 UVLS Clear has exceptional adhesion to any substrate except silicone.
- For more info, refer to UVLS Clears TDS
Cleaning from Airbrush or Spray-Gun
Airbrush Colors are best rinsed from the airbrush or spray-gun with 5618 Airbrush Cleaner or 4011 Reducer.
Use 4008 Restorer as a rinse for final clean to remove dried paint from metallic parts. Rinse well with water after using 4008.
Cleaning after Airbrush Colors Cure
Colors should only be cleaned after the paint has thoroughly dried, best 48 hours. Use a solvent-based degreaser or odorless mineral spirits to clean Createx Airbrush Colors.
Health & Safety
Use in a well-ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and warm water after use. Do not ingest. When spraying or sanding, use a properly fitting NIOSH approved respirator per the manufacturer’s instructions. Eye contact: Rinse with clean water for 15 minutes. Seek medical attention.
Inhalation: Use in in well ventilated areas and wear a NIOSH approved respirator.
Refer to Createx Airbrush Colors SDS for additional information.
PO Box 120, 14 Airport Park Rd
East Granby, CT 06026
800.243.2712 | 860.653.5505