Scenix Mural & Theme Paint (“Scenix”)
Low VOC (40.8 g/L Reg.)
Brush, Roll or Spray Application
Edited March 8, 2021
Scenix Mural & Theme Paint (“Scenix paint”)
A durable, lightfast water-based acrylic- aliphatic urethane resin that has excellent adhesion direct to most substrates including plastic, resin cast, aluminum and more.
Suitable for long-term exposure in outdoor conditions.
Made with lightfast pigments, colors do not fade (except Fluorescent Scenix colors).
For maximum durability and weathering resistance,
top-coat Scenix paint with 3 coats of UVLS Clears,
Scenix Paint Set-Up & Mix
- Thin with 4011 Reducer 2% – 10% per vol.
- For spray-gun application, reduce as needed for
atomization, generally 5 – 10% per volume.
- Stir in reducer, do not shake on agitator.
- Allow Paint mix ~ 10 minutes to acclimate, then spray.
- There is no pot life.
- Only thin colors with 4011 Reducer or 4013 Reducer intended for application within a 12-hour period.
- Keep stored air-tight unless pouring paint from container.
Equipment Size & Set-Up
Spray gun: 1.2 – 1.4mm tip-size
Mini-Gun: 1.2mm tip ~ 22 – 24 psi
- Follow spray-gun manufacturer’s psii recommendations.
Brush: Use quality brush made for water-based paint.
Roller: Keep wetted edge.
Spray Gun Application
- 3 coats for pinhole-free coverage:
- 1 tack coat (medium) and 2 medium-wet coats.
- Apply first coat lightly as a tack coat. Allow to air dry to a matte finish before applying next coat.
- Do not allow material to dry spray as this may create
adhesion failure. Too much distance at high pressure
- creates a dry spray.
- Scenix dries to vibrant color. Any milky haze apparent
when wet disappears as paint dries clear.
Drying Times & Curing
At 70 degrees F and 65% Relative Humidity, Scenix will dry
to in approximately 5 – 10 minutes.
- Use air to assist curing and shorten drying times.
- Do not cure with heat. Use of direct heat to dry Scenix will cause a loss of adhesion due to plasticizing of paint surface.
- Allow a 1-hour cure time minimum before top-coating with 2k, solvent-based clear.
Humid & Cold Conditions
- Dry time recommendations set at 70 deg.F. and 50% humidity. Adjust for colder temps or more humid conditions with extended re-coat times and time to tape or clear.
- Allow for extended drying times when painting in humid conditions or temperatures lower than 65 degrees.
- Work in lighter coats with less thinning and extended
re-coat times. Less thinning may also assist drying times.
- Allowing each light coat to dry tack free before applying the next coat achieves a quicker time to tape or clear. Allow each coat to dry tack-free.
Top-Coating with a Clear
Scenix may be top-coated with Scenix Clears and a wide
variety of other-type clears including catalyzed, urethane
clears and epoxies.
- Scuffing not required before top-coat.
The recommended top-coat clear for most Scenix paintjobs are UVLS Clears.
- SSR 7030 Gloss Clear is a specialty clear for use with Scenix paint under black-light conditions.
7030 is the same as UVLS 4050 Gloss but without the light-blocking function, so 7030 doesn’t inhibit the chroma of the UV/ blacklight effect as would 4050.
- Use water to clean guns after use and to rinse in between color changes.
- Soak gun and brush in 4008 Restorer after painting. 4008 helps partially remove dried paint for easy cleanup with soap & water.
- Scenix paint approx. 350 sq. feet per 1 gallon.
- Coverage varies per color.
Fluorescent Colors Application & Coverage
- All fluorescent / neon colors will eventually fade after prolonged exposure to direct light, including Scenix Fluorescent Colors.
- For best color-life and coverage, apply Scenix Fluorescent Colors over a color-keyed base of AutoBorne Sealer or standard Scenix color.
- Createx outdoor spec for Scenix Fluorescent Colors is to apply them over a color-keyed base made by mixing the same Scenix Fluorescent Colors 1:1 with AutoBorne Sealer.
Follow standard practices & procedures. If the surface has been damaged, remove all loose, chalking or flaking paint from the surface.
- Scenix is suitable for all direct to substrate applications except untreated metal. Prepare untreated metal with direct-to-metal primer or phosphoric acid.
- Apply Scenix High Performance direct to plastic, aluminum, fiberglass and other difficult to paint substrates.
- For especially difficult to paint plastics, Scenix Clear is an excellent adhesion promoter.
Health & Safety
Use in a well-ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes.
Wash hands thoroughly with soap and warm water after use. Do not ingest.
When spraying or sanding, use a properly-fitting
NIOSH approved respirator per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Skin contact: Thoroughly wash with soap and warm water before Scenix dries. Wearing gloves is recommended.
Eye contact: Rinse with clean water for 15 minutes.
Seek medical attention.
Inhalation: Use in well ventilated areas and wear a NIOSH approved respirator.
Refer to Scenix SDS for additional information.
WARNING: Cancer & Reproductive Harm -
This product will perform as claimed if directions are
followed. Warranty is limited to replacement or refund
value of product. No other warranty is expressed or
PO Box 120, 14 Airport Park Rd
East Granby, CT 06026
800.243.2712 | 860.653.5505